Click or tap here to download this information as a PDF
The York County Choral Society (YCCS), Rock Hill, SC, is publishing the following advertisement soliciting qualified candidates to fill the position of Artistic Director beginning fall 2023. After eleven musical seasons, Dr. Katherine Kinsey, current YCCS Artistic Director, has announced her retirement. The application process is now open and will remain open until filled.
POSITION: Artistic Director of the York County Choral Society
APPLICATIONS OPEN: Immediately
PRIORITY SUBMISSION DATE: On or before June 1, 2023
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
About the organization
Founded in the 1981-82 season by Drs. David Lowry and Shirley Fishburne, the York County Choral Society (YCCS) has collaborated with regional musicians for the successful performance of 40+ seasons of choral masterworks. The Main Choir is a vibrant, growing, intergenerational group of auditioned singers, currently consisting of 60+ voices. In addition to the Main Choir, YCCS also features a Chamber Ensemble consisting of 20-26 voices. Both ensembles rehearse weekly from approximately August to May (the “Season”) and perform two concerts per season.
YCCS is a 501(c)3 organization that is governed by a member-elected Board of Directors (BOD) and executive Committee. Members and Officers of the BOD consist of both singing and non-singing members of the Choral Society and surrounding communities. The BOD works closely with the artistic Director for the planning and preparation of seasonal concerts and overseeing day-to-day operations of the group.
About the position
The Artistic Director is a part-time position leading weekly YCCS choral rehearsals and seasonal concerts to create an inspiring and uplifting choral music experience for our community.
- Master’s or Doctorate in Music, preferably with a concentration in Choral Conducting and 3-5 years of applicable conducting experience
- Working knowledge of choral works and stylistic interpretation for all musical periods
- Experience in conducting open score with transposing instruments in medium to large instrumental ensemble settings
- Strong understanding of vocal pedagogy
- Proficient piano technique for assisting in rehearsals and auditions
- Strong organizational, writing, and verbal communication skills for administrative and marketing purposes
Role and position duties
- Serve as an Ex-Officio, non-voting member of the Board of Directors
- Recommend selection of music to be performed, venue, and estimated costs
associated with the performance
- Act as contractor for soloists, instrumentalists, and rehearsal/performance
- Provide information for media publication, concert programs, and other
- Conduct semi-annual vocal auditions for individuals interested in membership
- Conduct weekly rehearsals and seasonal performances
Required documents to apply
- Letter of Intent
- Curriculum Vitae and/or Resume
- Three Appropriate References
How to apply
Please email all required documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of “YCCS Artist Director Application Documents” to begin the application process. Application review will be based on the applicant’s ability to meet all relevant criteria as outlined in the position posting. The Search Committee reserves the right to accept or reject applications based on the initial submission of documents. Questions regarding the position and search process should be directed to the same email address, which is monitored by the Chair of the Search Committee.